In 1881 the future National League wanted to upgrade its image and target a more upscale fan base by doubling ticket prices, banning gambling, and outlawing alcohol sales. Several team owners who happened to be brewers refused to accept the new rules and banded together to form what would eventually become the American League. The National League attempted to discredit the new league by dubbing it the Beer and Whiskey League. This, of course only made the new league more popular. Duh!

Wednesday, March 17, 2004

Smoke 'em if you got 'em

Black Jack McDowell has posted his AL previews at Yahoo Sports's MLB Page. Here are his predictions regarding end-of-season standings:

AL WEST

Anaheim Angels
Seattle Mariners
Oakland A's
Texas Rangers


AL CENTRAL

Chicago White Sox
Kansas City Royals
Minnesota Twins
Cleveland Indians
Detroit Tigers


AL EAST

Boston Red Sox
New York Yankees
Toronto Blue Jays
Baltimore Orioles
Tampa Bay Devil Rays

In all three cases, what I find surprising is McDowell's choice of third-place: Oakland, Minnesota, and Toronto. Even though I'm a Mariner's fan I could have seen the logic of placing Seattle third and I definitely can see the logic of placing Anaheim third but to have Okland trailing both seems utterly ridiculous. Likewise, I can't see the Twins fall that far behind. I agree that the White Sox are the most likely division winners but I see the Twins as being far impressive than the Royals. I have less of a gripe when it comes to Toronto especially since in the AL East the Red Sox or the Yankees are vieing for first and second while everyone is challenging for third.

Oh, and check back later this week as I will put some fun spring training stats.